A hearty stuffing that is delicious with or without a turkey.
- 2 1/3 cups filtered water
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shopped button mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1. In a small saucepan set oven over high heat, bring the water and rice to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 50 minutes. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, fennel seeds, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the wild rice and pecans. Serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled.