Try this CA approved alternative Thanksgiving favorite.
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite size florets (approx. 4 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cove garlic, minced
- non-dairy milk, if desired, for creaminess
1. Place the potatoes in a very large saucepan and add water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes, uncovered.
2. After 10 minutes, add the cauliflower to the saucepan with the potatoes. Boil both vegetables for 10 minutes more, uncovered. Until they are fork-tender.
3. Drain the potatoes and cauliflower and return them to the saucepan. Mash with a potato masher until smooth, adding the vegan butter and salt, pepper and garlic as you mash. Resist the urge to add milk right off the bat. As you mash the cauliflower, it will release some water and thin out the mixture. If you need to add some milk at the end, feel free to do so.
4. Serve topped with easy mushroom gravy.
Easy Mushroom Gravy
- 1 ½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet or tallow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- fine grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 8 onces)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari, or soy sauce
1. In a skillet or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
2. Add the sliced mushrooms and rosemary and raise the hear to medium-high. Saute for 8 to 9 minutes more, or until most of the water released by the mushrooms has cooked off.
3. Stir in the flour until all the vegetables are coated.
4. Add the tamari gradually and stir quickly to smooth out any clumps or flour. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook, stirring often to ensure that it doesn’t burn, for 5 minutes more.
5. When the gravy has thickened to your liking, remove the pan from the heat and serve.